Name of presenters, job title, & institution
- Lauren A. Fairley- Academic Advisor I, Texas State University
- Terrance J. McClain- Academic Advisor I, Texas State University
What is the name of your presentation?
- Get Turnt! Advising Student Organizations
How did you select the topic?
- This topic was chosen out of passion for student organizations. As academic advisors, we believe that it is important to involve ourselves with campus life. As such, we both have chosen to advise student organizations and have seen great benefits in our interaction and connection with students.
Why is it important for academic advisors to know about this topic?
- It is important for academic advisors to know about this topic because it will enable advisors to gain a better understanding and connection to their students. By being involved in the lives of students through campus organizations an advisor can have a greater understanding or how to serve their students.
How did it feel to win the 2016 Best in TEXAAN presentation award?
- The feeling of wining the Best in TEXAAN was a phenomenal experience. Despite our hopes of winning, we did not believe that we would win because of the number of people that were present. In many ways we were discouraged. However, we chose to have a different outlook about the situation and presented to our small group of participants as if it were a crowd of 300. Thankfully, this change of mind allotted us to win the Best of TEXAAN. Thank you to all that helped us make it to this position.
Any additional information you would like to provide?
- Shoot for the stars. Nothing beats a failure but a try. Write your vision down and make it plan. Someday, is not a day of the week. Be willing to challenge yourself and do things you never thought you could do.
– Temple Carter, Immediate Past President, 2015-2016