Another annual NACADA conference came to a close in Atlanta this October, but things are just heating up for TEXAAN and it’s members. Here are the minutes from the Region 7 Texas State Meeting that was held during the NACADA Annual Conference.
- Matthew Haynes, TEXAAN President, opened the meeting, introducing the present TEXAAN officers.
- Betsy Haddad, TEXAAN NACADA State Liaison, spoke on the benefits of joining TEXAAN, using the TEXAAN website, the current TEXAAN Awards Application process, and open officer positions for election during the 2017 TEXAAN Conference.
- Officer positions open for election:
- Vice President of Programs
- Vice President of Technology
- Read more about the different officer positions in the TEXAAN Constitution.
- 2017 TEXAAN Advising Awards
- Academic Advising AdministratorContinue reading
Welcome to the place to receive all your TEXAAN news and happenings. Quarterly newsletters, timely stories, member contributions, and much more will begin to show up here. This is in addition to TEXAAN's presence on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Have an article, some research, a best practice or tip for fellow TEXAAN advisors? Submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you in February in Fort Worth for the annual TEXAAN conference.
Name of presenters, job title, & institution
- Lauren A. Fairley- Academic Advisor I, Texas State University
- Terrance J. McClain- Academic Advisor I, Texas State University
What is the name of your presentation?
- Get Turnt! Advising Student Organizations
How did you select the topic?
- This topic was chosen out of passion for student organizations. As academic advisors, we believe that it is important to involve ourselves with campus life. As such, we both have chosen to advise student organizations and have seen great benefits in our interaction and connection with students.
Why is it important for academic advisors to know about this topic?
- It is important for academic advisors to know about this topic because it will enable advisors to gain a better understanding and connection to their students. By being involved in the lives of students through campus organizations an advisor can have a greater understanding or how to serve their students.
How did it feel to win the 2016 Best in TEXAAN presentation award?Continue reading
23rd Annual TEXAAN Conference
February 17-19, 2016
Austin, Texas at the Holiday Inn Midtown
“Advising with a Capital A: Advanced Approaches to Academic Advising”
Number of Attendees
Final number pending
Dr. Gary Hartman, Professor of History & Director of the Center for Texas Music History at Texas State University
Number of Concurrent Sessions
32 concurrent sessions
Best in TEXAAN Award
Get Turnt: Advising Student Organizations presented by Lauren Fairley (Academic Advisor I, Texas State University); Terrance McClain (Academic Advisor I, Texas State University)
TEXAAN Award Winners